Amazon Registry Services Privacy Notice
Last updated: May 24, 2018
Amazon Registry Privacy Notice
Amazon Registry Services, Inc. ("Amazon Registry" or "we" or "us" or "our") follows the information practices of:
- the Amazon.com Privacy Notice for customers outside of the European Economic Area; and
- the Amazon EU Privacy Notice for customers in the European Economic Area.
We collect and process personal information in accordance with these notices, and the additional specific terms below (together: "the Amazon Registry Privacy Notice").
Controller of Personal Information
Amazon Registry, at 410 Terry Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, is the data controller of personal information collected and processed through Amazon Registry.
What Personal Information About Customers Does Amazon Registry Collect?
Amazon Registry operates generic Top Level Domains ("gTLDs") and provides related products and services. We collect personal information in order to provide and continually improve those products and services.
Here are the types of information we gather:
When registering a domain name through an Amazon Registry-accredited registrar ("Registrar"). When you start the process for registering a domain name, we record your search for a domain name, and obtain your Customer ID and address information when you create or sign into your Amazon customer account. When you select a Registrar on our website to register a domain name, you may choose to provide your address information from your Amazon account or complete your personal information on the Registrar’s website.
To service domain names in the gTLDs we operate. Amazon Registry receives domain name registration information from Registrars for domains registered in our gTLDs. As the registry operator, we require registration information to operate and provide services for the domain name you registered.
When you purchase additional services such as our Site Builder. We obtain your Customer ID, address information and payment information from your Amazon customer account.
For What Purposes Does Amazon Registry Process Your Personal Information?
We process your personal information in order to operate, provide, and improve the products and services that we offer to our customers. These purposes include:
- creating or signing into your Amazon account to enable you to provide your personal information to us in order to improve the customer experience and facilitate registration of a domain name with a Registrar or to purchase additional services such as our Site Builder;
- if you instruct us to do so, providing your address information to Registrars to register a domain name through them;
- validating that you meet applicable registration eligibility criteria for each of our gTLDs;
- processing your searches for domain names, where the domain name itself contains personal information;
- obtaining your personal information from Registrars for administering, operating, providing, and improving the services that we offer; and
- fulfilling our contractual obligations with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN"), including escrowing your domain name registration information, required reporting functions, and ensuring the security and stability of the domain name system.
Does Amazon Registry Share Your Personal Information?
Amazon Registry shares your personal information as described in the notices referenced above and as follows:
- Third-Party Service Providers. We employ other companies to perform functions on our behalf such as backend registry service providers and data escrow agents.
- Transactions involving Third-Party Registrars. Domain names in gTLDs we operate are available for purchase through Registrars. If you choose to do so, we provide your address information to the Registrar.
- ICANN. We share domain name registration information with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN") and other third parties as required to comply with applicable ICANN policies and requirements. For example:
- We must operate a WHOIS service that provides public access to your domain name registration information. We will redact or not display the following WHOIS data fields that contain your personal information: (i) Registrant ID; (ii) Registrant Name; (iii) Registrant Street; (iv) Registrant City; (v) Registrant Postal Code; (vi) Registrant Phone and Ext; and (vii) Registrant Fax and Ext.
- We must deposit all domain name registration information with an escrow agent.
- In case of a registrar’s failure, loss of accreditation, court order, or other event that prompts the temporary or definitive transfer of domain names from one registrar to another registrar, we will provide ICANN with the registration information for the affected domain names.
- We must provide access to zone file data, which includes the domain name and its name servers, to third parties for lawful purposes.
- We must provide reasonable access to your domain name registration information to ICANN and other appropriate third parties on the basis of a legitimate interest pursued by the third party, consistent with the requirements of Article 6(1)(f) GDPR.
- We will retain your domain name registration information for these purposes for two years beyond the expiration of your domain name, consistent with ICANN’s requirements.
What Choices Do I Have?
If you would like to exercise your rights mentioned under the section "What Choices do I Have?" of the Amazon EU Privacy Notice with regard to information processed by Amazon Registry – please visit the Your personal data page.